Publication Year: 2005
Authors/Editor: Cleary, Brenda; Rice, Rebecca
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
This book looks at ""long-term"" fixes being developed in response to the nursing shortage, through regional collaborations of government, health care institutions, and schools of nursing.
Nursing Workforce Development is based on the premise that factors around the supply and demand for nurses are locally based, since nurses tend to be educated and work in the same geographic area. Successful strategies implemented in many states are provided as ""exemplars"" throughout the book, which include collaborations between service and education to provide greater educational mobility and programs for workplace satisfaction.
The book grew out of the Robert Wood Johnson-funded Colleagues in Caring Project, which was created to help mobilize regional cooperation around nursing workforce issues, and includes practical information on:
* How to Obtain Funding for Nursing Workforce Coalitions
* Gathering Nursing Workforce Data
* Redesigning the Nursing Workforce
* Influencing Nursing Workforce Policy
* Strategies for Nursing Workforce Development
* The Future of the Nursing Workplace