Publication Year: 2012
Authors/Editor: Brodie, Martin J.; Schachter, Steven C.; Kwan, Patrick
Publisher: S. Karger
Fast Facts: Epilepsy is a succinct and practical aid to the diagnosis and treatment of seizure disorders.
The management of patients with epilepsy is a team effort involving medical and social service professionals and the patient's family, friends and co-workers. Primary care providers are at the forefront of care, usually performing the initial evaluation after the first seizure, making dose adjustments to the patient's drug treatment and providing ongoing support.
* The diagnostic essentials - classification of seizures, conditions that can mimic epileptic seizures, clinical evaluation of the patient and the latest brain-imaging techniques
* The principles of drug selection and therapy withdrawal
* An up-to-date overview of all 15 antiepileptic drugs on the market
* The non-pharmacological options for patients with medically refractory epilepsy, including deep brain stimulation
* Special considerations for women, elderly people, teenagers and people with learning disabilities
* Psychiatric morbidities - depression, anxiety and psychosis
* The effects of epilepsy on employment, driving, life insurance and lifestyle.
Now in its fifth edition, this ever-popular handbook is a neatly packaged, up-to-date resource for the busy clinician and team, to help investigate, diagnose and successfully treat children and adults with a wide range of seizure disorders.
Fast Facts: Epilepsy