Publication Year: 2017
Edition: 3rd Ed.
Authors/Editor: Murphy, Marcia Pencak; Staffileno, Beth A.; Foreman, Marquis D.
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 78
The third edition of this award-winning text delivers the full treasury of tools that graduate nursing students and advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) need to translate clinical research into practice. In the current health care landscape, APRNs are challenged to provide patient-centered care that is effective, safe, efficient, equitable, and evidence based. Building knowledge and skills in evidence-based practice (EBP) is imperative to successfully meet this challenge and improve patient outcomes.
The text describes essential ways to implement EBP in clinical practice, including how to search for and evaluate various forms of evidence, design questionnaires and data-collection forms, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data. The authors offer guidelines for evaluating research articles and a variety of EBP activities and protocols that show how to integrate EBP into multiple clinical settings suitable for all APRN areas of practice. Step-by-step instruction walks readers through the process of finding relevant evidence, appraising evidence, and translating evidence into practice to improve patient care and outcomes. The authors continue the great work of Magdalena Mateo, who created the earlier editions upon which this revision is based.
New to the second edition:
- Expands information about practice scholarship
- Provides new strategies for program evaluation
- Describes frameworks for implementation science and EBP
- Offers practical steps and tools for seeking, appraising, and applying evidence into practice
- Integrates EBP concepts related to patient care
- Identifies the requisite knowledge and skills for practice scholarship
- Describes practical strategies and tools for seeking and appraising evidence and applying it in practicee.
- Integrates clinically relevant examples that highlight the application of evidence into practice to improve outcomes
Research for Advanced Practice Nurses