Publication Year: 2014
Authors/Editor: Goldsteen, Rayond L.; Goldsteen, Karen; Terry Dwelle
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
This second edition is the only text to encompass the new legislation implemented by the Affordable Care Act, with its focus on prevention and its increase in funding for prevention research.
Updated and thoroughly revised, this foundational resource surveys all major topics related to the U.S. public health system, including organization on local and national levels, financing, workforce, goals, initiatives, accountability, and metrics. The text is unique in combining the perspectives of both academicians and public health officials, and examines new job opportunities and the growing interest in the public health field.
New to the second edition:
- Completely updated and revised
- Addresses changes brought about by Obamacare
- Discusses building healthy communities and the determinants of health
- Adds new chapter on public health leadership
- Covers new developments in treating Lyme disease, West Nile virus, and other illnesses
- Investigates intentional injuries such as suicide, homicide, and war
- Provides information that is holistic, comprehensive, and accessible
- Covers all major topics of organization, financing, leadership, goals, initiatives, accountability, and metrics
- Relates current public health practice to the field's history and mission
- Analyzes successful and unsuccessful aspects of health care delivery