Publication Year: 2016
Edition: 7th Ed.
Authors/Editor: Videbeck, Sheila L.
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 90
Doody Core Title:
Exploring the full psychiatric nursing curriculum, from theoretical foundations to interventions for commonly encountered disorders, this new edition provides a practical focus on the skills and concepts students need for successful practice.
Throughout the book, students have opportunities to learn specific nursing interventions, build therapeutic communication skills, and apply content within the framework of the nursing process. A study guide built into every chapter reinforces student learning and builds critical reasoning skills.
- Clinical Vignettes, provided for each major disorder discussed in the text, “paint a picture” of a client dealing with the disorder to enhance understanding.
- Nursing Care Plans demonstrate a sample plan of care for a client with a specific disorder.
- Drug Alerts highlight essential points about psychotropic drugs.
- Warning boxes are the FDA black box drug warnings for specific medications.
- Cultural Considerations sections highlight diversity in client care.
- Elder Considerations sections highlight the key considerations for a growing older adult population.
- Therapeutic dialogues give specific examples of the nurse–client interaction to promote therapeutic communication skills.
- Client/ Family Education boxes provide information that helps strengthen students' roles as educators.
- Nursing Interventions provide a summary of key interventions for the specific disorder.
- DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria boxes include specific diagnostic information for the disorder.
- Best Practices boxes highlight current evidence-based practice and future directions for research on a wide variety of practice issues.
- Self-Awareness features encourage students to reflect on themselves, their emotions, and their attitudes as a way to foster both personal and professional development.
- Concept Mastery Alerts clarify important concepts that are essential to students’ learning and practice.
- Watch and Learn icons alert the reader to important resources available on thePoint website to enhance student understanding of the topic.
Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing