Publication Year: 2008
Edition: 1st Ed.
Authors/Editor: Scott, William N.; McGrath, Deirdre
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
This practical, entertaining book is a complete and clear guide to calculating drug dosages.
The text covers basic maths (fractions, decimals, ratios, proportions and percentages), measurement systems and practical calculations. There is vital information on recording drug administration, routes of administration, and reading drug labels, and preventing errors associated with each of these. The text promotes awareness of all of these issues through the use of realistic examples and self-test questions throughout.
Additional chapters cover paediatric, obstetric and critical care dosage calculations.
This text is for all degree and diploma nursing students who are mastering numeracy skills to ensure safe practice, and qualified nurses doing post-registration numeracy courses.
- Clear, simple explanations of all types of calculations and definitions of key terms
- Abundant illustrations that clearly explain difficult concepts
- Boxes and checklists that make it easy to spot important points at a glance
- Memory joggers help you understand and remember difficult concept
- Before you give that drug alerts contain urgent advice on how to avoid dangerous drug errors
- Advice from the experts sections offer tips on how to maintain dosage accuracy
- Real world problems walk you through real-life situations of determining drug dosage