Publication Year: 2015
Edition: 1st Ed.
Authors/Editor: WOCN Society; Carmel, Jane E.; Colwell, Janice C.; Goldberg, Margaret T.
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 89
This volume in the new Core Curriculum series from the WOCN® Society covers Ostomy Management, and is the crucial text for nurses practicing or studying ostomy patient care.
It offers pathology and physiology basics in easy-to-grasp terms, while providing expert guidance on patient management. The perfect study guide for the wound, ostomy and continence (WOC) certification exams, it also provides step-by-step direction on essential nursing procedures.
The evidence-based, easy-to-follow format of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society™ Core Curriculum: Wound Management facilitates your comprehension of:
- Anatomy and physiology of the GI and urinary tracts
- The disease states that lead to a fecal/urinary stoma
- Fecal or urinary stoma construction
- Fecal or urinary diversion.
Step-by-step instruction leads you through care planning and delivery, including management of stoma and peristomal complications. And, end-of-chapter Q&A helps you remember all vital points.
Practical directions cover:
- Preoperative care for patients undergoing fecal or urinary diversion
- Postoperative nursing assessment and management
- New surgical procedures and pouching techniques
- Patient education
- Rehabilitation issues
- Ostomy patient needs, including assessment and management of pediatric patients.
It is essential for nursing students in ostomy care programs; nurses caring for patients with an ostomy; nurses in gastroenterology, urology, and surgical nursing; graduate nursing students; those seeking WOC certification or recertification; and nursing faculty.
Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society® Core Curriculum: Ostomy Management