Publication Year: 2015
Edition: 1st Ed.
Authors/Editor: WOCN Society; Doughty, Dorothy B.; Moore, Katherine N.
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 89
Essential for nursing students in continence care programs; nurses involved in continence care; nurses in gastroenterology, urology, and surgical nursing; graduate nursing students; those seeking WOC certification or recertification; and nursing faculty.
It offers pathology and physiology basics in easy-to-grasp terms, while providing expert guidance on patient management. The perfect study guide for the wound, ostomy and continence (WOC) certification exams, it also provides step-by-step direction on essential nursing procedures.
The evidence-based, easy-to-follow format of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society™ Core Curriculum: Continence Management facilitates your comprehension of:
- Urinary incontinence and voiding dysfunction
- Physiology of normal defecation and voiding
- Motility disorders, fecal incontinence, and bowel dysfunction in pediatric patients.
Step-by-step instruction leads you through care planning and delivery, including management of voiding dysfunction and urinary incontinence in both men and women.
- End-of-chapter Q&As help you remember all vital points
- Clinical pearls highlight important takeaways
- Numerous full-color photos, diagrams, and tables aid understanding of vital topics.
Practical directions cover:
- Assessment of UI and lower urinary tract symptoms
- Appropriate use of containment devices, absorbent products, and indwelling catheters
- Basic and advanced assessments of patients with urinary incontinence and voiding dysfunction
- Overactive bladder/urgency UI and fecal incontinence - pathology, presentation, diagnosis, and management
- Assessment and management of the neurogenic bladder
- Caring for older patients