Publication Year: 2016
Edition: 2nd Ed.
Authors/Editor: Lerret, Stacee; Cupples, Sandra; Ohler, Linda; McCalmont, Vicki
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 98
Doody Core Title:
This official publication of the International Transplant Nurses Society (ITNS) offers crucial, real-life direction on the science and skills required for every kind of solid organ transplant, from initial evaluation to long-term follow-up.
Based on the Certified Clinical Transplant Nurse (CCTN) exam content, this is a must-have training and teaching guide for nursing educators, students, and all clinicians seeking CCTN certification or a transplant nursing practice.
- NEW chapter on quality assurance and performance improvement (QAPI) and regulatory issues
- NEW chapter on vascular composite allograft transplantation (VCA)
- NEW chapter on mechanical circulatory support (MCS) devices
- NEW United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) criteria for VCA procedures and other UNOS policies, including organ allocation policies
- NEW Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines for patient selection for destination therapy
- NEW evidence-based International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation guidelines
- NEW patient discharge checklists, and examples of QAPI scorecards and regulator indicators
- More than 200 end-of-chapter sample test questions to aid CCTN exam study
- More than 200 new and updated charts and figures
- Outline format that supports on-the-spot reference, with detailed direction on:
* Transplant immunology and pharmacology; updated content on medications
* Psychosocial issues
* Ethical issues, such as living donations and procuring deceased donors
* Allocation systems for organs in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Australia
* Care of living donors
* Life-long posttransplant follow-up
- Organ-specific chapters offer comprehensive information on areas including:
* Initial organ-specific evaluation
* Pre- and postoperative adult and pediatric care
* Pathophysiology of end-stage organ failure
* Surgical techniques
* Immunosuppressive medications
* Posttransplant complications
* Discharge teaching and follow-up
- Essential study guide for the American Board for Transplant Certification (ABTC) Certified Clinical Transplant Nurse exam, the ABTC Certified Clinical Transplant Coordinators exam, and the CCTN certification exam.