Publication Year: 2015
Edition: 1st Ed.
Authors/Editor: Sorrell, Jeanne Merkle; Cangelosi, Pamela
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 97
With the goal of improving the experience of nurses transitioning from clinician to educator, in hospitals as well as schools of nursing, this unique book presents the stories of nurses who made this transition.
The book presents the findings of several qualitative studies addressing the question, "What is the lived experience of clinicians as they assume new roles as clinical nurse educators?" These narratives describe the challenges they faced and the transformations in each nurse's identity and relationships during the transition process.
The text includes recommendations from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching along with specific problem-solving strategies.
- Presents experiential narratives from nurses who made the transition from clinician to educator
- Describes important aspects of a nurse's transition from the role of clinical expert to that of novice educator
- Includes research-based insights in a highly accessible style and format
- Integrates National League for Nursing Core Competencies into the text
- Provides inspiring, helpful, and comforting guidance for nurse clinicians feeling lost or confused in a new role
Expert Clinician to Novice Nurse Educator: Learning from First-Hand Narratives