Publication Year: 2017
Edition: 1st Ed.
Authors/Editor: Hunt, Deborah Dolan
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 91
Replete with concise and easy-to-read information, this resource captures the essence of pivotal events and individuals in nursing history who have driven the evolution of the nursing role from that of a "handmaiden" to a key health professional.
This book distills important historical information--often neglected in today's nursing programs--that fosters an understanding and appreciation of the issues that inform nursing practice today. Content is presented in an easy-access format consisting of short summaries and "Fast Facts in a Nutshell" that identify key points throughout each chapter. An introductory chapter featuring an interview with a prominent nursing historian adds breadth and color to this review of nursing through the ages.
Incorporating a global perspective, each chapter highlights significant events during a particular era as they affected the status of the nursing profession and the nursing role. Beginning with the pre-Nightingale period, the book addresses the role of the nurse before the advent of formal training programs. It continues with the contributions of Florence Nightingale, the early 1900s, and new developments in nursing, including public health nursing and the impact of both world wars. The bulk of the book comprises an in-depth account of the tremendous growth and professional development in nursing during the past 100 years, addressing nursing theories and leaders, education, research, professional organizations, and the future of nursing.
- Provides important historical content often neglected in today’s nursing programs
- Delivers concise, easy-to-read information about important events and influential nursing luminaries
- Describes how nurses have influenced health and wellness across the life span
- Highlights key points with "Fast Facts in a Nutshell" boxes
- Includes an interview with the president of the American Association for the History of Nursing, a chapter on the relevance of nursing history by a noted nurse historian, and a chapter on influential nurses in history by a noted nursing leader and educator
Fast Facts About the Nursing Profession: Historical Perspectives in a Nutshell