Nursing Research: Generating and Assessing Evidence for Nursing Practice, has been updated to incorporate new methodological advances and, to the extent possible, substantive examples used to illustrate concepts from articles published between 2013 and 2015.
The organizational structure introduced in previous editions will be maintained — i.e., content focusing on quantitative research will be in Part III, and content on qualitative research will be in Part IV.
- New chapter on conducting a pilot study (Chapter 28). The literature is full of articles reporting the “findings” from pilot studies, but a lot has been written in the past five years about (a) how little guidance there is for designing and reporting pilot studies; and (b) how poor the quality of many pilot studies is, in part because researchers misunderstand their purpose and fail to establish important benchmarks. This new chapter will present cutting-edge guidance on undertaking pilot studies for nursing intervention research.
- New chapter on a hot new topic, clinical significance (Chapter 20). As a gold standard text, Polit & Beck are at the forefront of trends by being the first to cover clinical significance.
- Two completely revised chapters on measurement and data quality (Chapter 14), using the ground-breaking taxonomy, and on scale development (Chapter 15) will be hallmarks of this edition.
- Research Examples. Each chapter concludes with one or two actual research examples designed to highlight critical points made in the chapter. In addition, many research examples are used to illustrate key points in the text and to stimulate ideas for a study.
- Critiquing Guidelines. Most chapters include a section devoted to guidelines for conducting a critique of each aspect of a research report. These sections provide a list of questions to draw attention to specific aspects of a report that are amenable to appraisal.
- Clear, “user friendly” style. The authors paid special attention to writing in an easily digestible and nonintimidating manner. Concepts are introduced carefully and systematically, difficult ideas are presented clearly, and readers are assumed to have no prior exposure to technical terms.
- Specific practical tips on doing research. The textbook is filled with practical guidance on how to translate the abstract notions of research methods into realistic strategies for conducting research. Every chapter includes several tips for applying the chapter’s lessons to real-life situations.
- Aids to student learning. Several features are used to enhance and reinforce learning and to help focus the student’s attention on specific areas of text content, including the following: succinct, bulleted summaries at the end of each chapter; tables and figures that provide examples and graphic materials in support of the text discussion; study suggestions at the end of each chapter; a detailed glossary; and a comprehensive index for accessing information quickly.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Product Type: Book
Author/Editor: Polit, Denise F.; Beck, Cheryl Tatano
Edition: 10th Ed.
Doody's Star Rating®:
Doody Core Title: