Handle the vital issue of pain management safely and effectively, with the proven range of treatments offered in Pain Management for Advanced Practice.
Offering compassionate, holistic pain management strategies — pharmacological and nonpharmacological — this expert guide supports evidence-based decision making, with multimodal care options that include cognitive behavioral therapy, yoga, acupuncture, analgesics and supplementary pharmaceuticals. Essential for clinicians in all practice areas, this is the real-world support all advanced practice clinicians need for managing patients in pain.
Offer effective pain management across the spectrum of acute and chronic pain conditions:
- Current data from studies that demonstrate real-life application of proven modalities
- Supports National Institutes of Health pain treatment options – innovative medications and technologies that treat opioid use disorders, for improved overdose prevention and reversal interventions that save lives and support recovery
- Designed to support both patients and their families in ways that avoid the pitfalls of the opioid epidemic
- Key Points listed in each chapter offering vital clinical tips
- Chapters that address a wide range of pain management models and treatments, including:
- Biopsychosocial model of pain and patient-centered pain management – multimodal treatment strategies that holistically address the needs of the patient and their family on biologic, psychological, social and spiritual levels
- Pain neurophysiology and phenotypes – common types of pain, including complex regional pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, neuropathy, osteoarthritis, piriformis syndrome, sciatica
- Pain assessment, clinical history and examination
- Diagnostic testing and imaging of pain
- Multimodal management of pain – perioperative, neck and low back, chronic, cancer, other musculoskeletal pain
- Psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy
- Pharmacologic management – pain pharmacogenetics, opioid and nonopioid analgesics, adjuvant therapies (including herbals and supplements), managing multiple symptoms
- Nonpharmacologic management – aromatherapy, breath therapy, thermal therapy, distraction, gaming/virtual reality, music therapy, massage, reiki, acupuncture, movement therapy, electrocutaneous therapy, nutritional interventions, spinal manipulation, exercise, acupuncture, massage, tai chi, yoga, mindfulness, music
- Interventional pain management
- Surgical and procedural pain management – postoperative pain assessment, opioid and nonopioid analgesia, peripheral nerve block and local anesthetics, nonsteroidal anti- inflammatory drugs
- Treating pain in the addicted patient
- System-level pain management
- A must-have for advanced practice clinicians in all practice areas, particularly medical-surgical, critical care, oncology and emergency care
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Product Type: Book
Author/Editor: Starkweather, Angela; McCauley, Paula S.
Edition: 1st Ed.