Publication Year: 2013
Authors/Editor: Barnes, J.; Anderson, L.A.; Phillipson, J.D.
Publisher: Pharmaceutical Press
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 99
Doody Core Title
Herbal Medicines provides a comprehensive single source of scientifically rigorous, impartial information on 180 of the most commonly used herbal medicinal products.This fourth edition includes extensive revision of over 20 monographs and the addition of 28 new monographs. All Pharmacopeial information has been fully updated and restructured across the publication.
Herbal medicinal products are increasing in popularity in the developed world and continue to be an important healthcare approach in developing countries. However, alongside the widespread use of herbal medicines, there are many concerns about their quality, safety and efficacy. Features of this updated third edition include:
* Full colour throughout, with chemical structures and photographs of the plant and crude drug material;
* 180 monographs, comprehensively referenced, detailing phytochemical, pharmacological and clinical aspects of each herb (uses, dosage, evidence of efficacy, adverse effects, contraindications, use in pregnancy and lactation, drug interactions, etc.)
* New monographs on butterbur (Petasites hybridus), greater celandine (Chelidonium majus), kava (Piper methysticum) and rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea);
* Monographs on 20 major herbal medicines substantially revised, including echinacea, evening primrose, ginkgo, ginseng, St John's wort and valerian;
* Product information from over 43 countries including Australia, Germany, UK and USA.
Written by experts in the fields of pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, phytopharmacy, clinical herbal medicines, phytopharmacovigilance and regulation of herbal medicinal products, "Herbal Medicines" is an invaluable reference text for pharmacists and other healthcare professionals who require evidence-based information on herbal medicines used for treatment and prevention of health problems.