Publication Year: 2011
Edition: 8th Ed.
Authors/Editor: Shives, Louise Rebraca
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
The eighth edition has been updated for currency and retains key features that have been well-received in previous editions, specifically self-awareness prompts, clinical examples, and recurring boxes.
This is a core textbook for the LPN and ADN psychiatric-mental health course. This textbook presents succinct, yet comprehensive coverage of topics for the short or integrated psychiatric-mental health course.
Topics covered include:
- Psychobiological and developmental theories related to specific disorders
- Economic, spiritual, sexual, and religious factors affecting mental health
- Cultural and ethnic diversity
- Loss and grief
- The nurse’s role in clinical psychopharmacology
- Management of pain and sleep disturbances
- Client empowerment
- Utilization of behavior therapy as a nursing intervention when appropriate
Basic Concepts of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing