Publication Year: 2018
Edition: 3rd Ed.
Authors/Editor: Duffy, Joanne
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 100
Quality Caring in Nursing and Health Systems, Third Edition delivers a detailed framework of the Quality Caring Model©, a theory that analyzes the relationships among the self, the community served, patients and families, and the health care team.
As the population requiring healthcare increases, so does the room for error and the demand for patient-centered care. The health system, focused on procedures, protocols, technology, and lower costs, continues to inflict unnecessary harms upon already vulnerable patients and their families. Nurses, as the largest group of health care professionals that spend the longest time with patients and families, are in a unique position to advance new relationship-centric approaches to health care. This text focuses on the practical application of the Quality Caring Model, featuring new examples of ways to embed caring into the health care environment. An abundance of practice analyses and reflective exercises reinforce the book’s content.
Written for nursing students, clinicians, educators, and leaders, this text delves into the intricacies of relational health care. Chapters apply the model to patients and families and provide optimal learning strategies to inform quality-caring competencies. Case studies, interviews, exemplars, relevant lessons, and suggested improvements woven throughout the text push the model further than theory and into practice.
New to the Third Edition:
- Updates and clarifies the Quality Caring Model to improve safety and quality of health systems
- Examines the continuing quality crisis in health care
- Demonstrates the model’s application in clinical, educational, and leadership practice
- Discusses how nurses can work in creative ways to implement caring in their practice as per IOM Future of Nursing Report
- Provides interviews with practicing nurses reflecting the challenges and strategies needed to implement caring in our technopharmacological system
- Examines the evolution of the Quality Caring Model, its key concepts, and the clinical, educational, and leadership implications for application
- Features interviews with practicing nurses that reflect challenges and successful strategies
- Includes case studies and practical insights from diverse community and academic health centers
- Includes learning objectives, boxed calls to action, key summary points and reflective exercises
- Offers user-friendly visual images and charts
- Focuses on the challenge of creating value
- Facilitates Magnet designation