Publication Year: 2015
Edition: 3rd Ed.
Authors/Editor: Jeffreys, Marianne R.
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
Doody's Star Rating®:Score: 96
Based on proven research, this book is a must read for those working in academic settings, health care institutions, employee education, and nursing and health care organizations and associations. Updated with new evidence-based strategies, interactive book features, and expandedready-toapply strategies and exemplars, this new edition offers a systematic, comprehensive approach for planning, implementing, and evaluating cultural competence education strategies and programs.
New and expanded chapters address curriculum, train-the-trainer programs, and continuing education; traditional classroom, hybrid, and online courses; clinical settings, immersion experiences, service learning, simulation, and nursing skills labs; professional networking; and multicultural workplace harmony and cultural safety. Included are educational activities for academic, health care agency, and professional association settings. Real-life scenarios, integrated reflection boxes, easy-to-apply action steps, educator- in-action vignettes, research exhibit boxes, toolkit resource boxes, an accompanying digital toolkit, references, and discussion questions help readers to fully integrate the book's content. An appendix lists over 50 studies from around the world utilizing the Cultural Competence and Confidence (CCC) model and its corresponding questionnaires (contained in the toolkit). The text provides valuable information and resources to assist academic programs and health care institutions meet accreditation requirements and for institutions trying to obtain Magnet status.
* Updated and revised model to guide cultural competence education
* Reorganized to address cultural competence in a variety of environments
* Expanded ready-to-apply strategies and exemplars
* A wealth of updated and revised information and research
* New and expanded chapters on curriculum and varied learning modalities
* New information on clinical settings, immersion experiences, service learning, simulation, nursing skills labs, and hybrid and online education
Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing and Health Care