Publication Year: 2009
Authors/Editor: Foreman, Marquis D.; Milisen, Koen; Fulmer, Terry T.
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
This book is an evidence-based, best-practices guide that directs the bedside care of critically ill elders.
The book serves as a reference on major clinical issues for nurses working at the forefront of care--from nurses in critical care and step-down units to those in trauma and emergency departments. Nurse educators at all degree levels will also find this book to be useful as a textbook and resource for students.
The authors provide evidence-based, practical guidelines for both the complex clinical and management aspects of care. The book offers comprehensive coverage of all the issues caregivers need to be up to date on, including the standards of practice for geriatric care, new technologies, pharmacotherapy, pain management issues, ethical issues, and much more.
Key topics discussed:
* Strategies for patient safety for older patients in the intensive care setting
* Family responses to critical care of the older adult
* Infection, sepsis, and immune function
* Understanding and managing sleep disorders in older patients in the ICU
* Heart failure in the critically ill older patient
* Substance abuse and withdrawal in elderly patients