Publication Year: 2010
Authors/Editor: Santos-Buelga, Celestino; Escribano-Bailon, Maria Teresa; Lattanzio, Vincenzo
Sponsored by Groupe Polyphenols, this publication, which is the second volume in this ground-breaking series, is edited by Celestino Santos-Buelga, Maria Teresa Escribano-Bailon, and Vincenzo Lattanzio, who have drawn together an impressive list of internationally respected authors, each providing cutting edge chapters covering some of the major topics of recent research and interest.
Plant phenolics are secondary metabolites that constitute one of the most common and widespread groups of substances in plants. Polyphenols have a large and diverse array of beneficial effects on both plants and animals. For example they are famous as antioxidants, hormones, constituents of essential oils and natural neurotransmitters.
Information included in this important new addition to the series include the following areas:
* Flavonoid chemistry of the leguminosae
* Chemistry and biological activity of ellagitannins
* Chemistry and function of anthocyanins in plants
* An update of chemical pathways leading to new phenolic pigments during wine ageing
* Metabolic engineering of the flavonoid pathway
* The translation of chemical properties of polyphenols into biological activity with impacts in human health
* Plant phenolic compounds controlling leaf movement
* Biological activity of phenolics in plants
Chemists, biochemists, plant scientists, pharmacognosists and pharmacologists, food scientists and nutritionists will all find this book an invaluable resource. Libraries in all universities and research establishments where these subjects are studied and taught should have copies on their shelves.